Immobilization and Anesthesia for the Care of Managed and Free-living Wildlife Species.
Learn reliable, safe, and effective techniques for the species you work with and the scenarios you encounter!
This training provides the most complete, up-to-date instruction available on chemical immobilization of animals, presented in an easy-to-understand manner that is applicable to all experience levels. The instructors are veterinarians and biologists who specialize in remotely-delivered anesthetic agents. This program, which has historically been considered by many to be the standard in chemical immobilization training, is now part of San Diego Zoo Global Academy.
Who Would Benefit From This Training?
Professionals working in…
ZOOLOGICAL & VETERINARY MEDICINE
WILDLIFE MANAGEMENT & CONSERVATION
- Injectable and inhalant techniques.
- Proper injection sites.
- Remote-delivery equipment and technology.
- Advantages and disadvantages of commercially available darting systems.
- Techniques and field modifications to ensure accuracy and consistency.
- How to recognize, prevent, and treat immobilization-related medical emergencies.
- Strategies and techniques to minimize stress during capture and handling.
- Training and conditioning techniques to facilitate animal handling, examination, and sample collection without the use of drugs.
- Drug and dosage recommendations.
- Proper use of super-concentrated drugs.
- How to re-dose if immobilization is incomplete.
- Personnel and public safety considerations.
- Handling accidental human exposure to immobilizing drugs.
- Record keeping and legal considerations, including DEA, AMDUCA, IACUC.